A Food Blogger's Quandry

It has been pretty busy at work... thus the lack of posts! We'll get back into it soon enough.

We've been eating out a lot lately and I have a fear of/aversion to taking quality photos in a restaurant. I've tried using my trusty iPhone with terrible results...


These delicious looking dishes were from Hot and Hot Fish Club .
Is it just me or do these look like undercover police photos taken from a camera mounted on a tie clip? "Exhibit A is a picture of the grouper cooked in parchment. The picture was taken by officer Malarky at a sting operation in the Harpersville Motel at 1 AM on February 21st."

Moe's Barbeque. Good BBQ, bad picture.

Tortilla Soup at Las Poblanas in Childersburg, AL.
The soup was good but I think my wife got the flu here.

Surin's Curried Eggplant Noodle. My absolute favorite dish at Surin 280.

I don't know why I refuse to take "real" pictures in restaurants. Maybe I feel it makes the other patrons uncomfortable or distracts from the dining ritual. (I enjoy the act of dining as much as the act of eating. Yes, there is a difference.) Is it not insanely awkward to pull out an SLR and start a photo shoot in a restaurant? But I want to be able to share my dining out experiences with some degree of quality. Or do I? Do I really care to do all that it takes to get a good photo of some food at a restaurant? Am I just not as "hardcore" as I thought?

Maybe, just sometimes, I want to eat a meal like everyone else does, without writing my thoughts/criticisms down in a notebook and snapping 10 pics with different aperture settings.

A quick phone picture is enough, sometimes.

It is hard to discern between blog-worthy, un-blog-worthy, and experiences too good to ruin with over-documentation.

Log this one under lessons learned in my short time as a "food blogger". And until something changes, just expect crappy photos to accompany posts about restaurants.

1 comment:

  1. Grant, this is Jason Clark. I'm not exactly sure how I managed to end up on your blog here, but excellent work. I, too, love to cook and appreciate fine culinary skill wherever it may be found. Best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete